The Super Bowl LIV Champions Kansas City Chiefs are a National Football League franchise based in Kansas City, Missouri. The Chiefs compete in the West Division of the American Football Conference. The team plays its home games at Arrowhead Stadium.
As one of the first NFL teams to welcome fans back into the stadium since the start of the pandemic – a slick, contactless and easy mobile pay solution was key to ensuring a safe return at Arrowhead Stadium.
This need for a safe and seamless fan experience solution cemented their decision to partner with Tappit – implementing a white-label mobile pay solution – ‘Chiefs Pay’.
Fans benefit from having a frictionless, safe and fast purchasing experience. The Chiefs benefit from a speedier, safe transaction experience for fans and staff as well as having a better understanding of each and every fan’s behaviour from entry through exit.
Integration & Timeline
With the partnership agreement completed 8 weeks ahead of launch – Tappit delivered 7 integrations, working with concessionaires, retailers, banks, and the team’s existing app developer to ensure a smooth launch for fans, the team and tech partners. Chiefs Pay was launched successfully to fans at all concessions and retail points of sale.
Improved fan experience. ⚬ Safety. ⚬ Increased fan engagement. ⚬ Data & insights. ⚬ Increased revenue.
- Understanding fan behaviour and growing the fanbase Due to the pandemic and being crowned Super Bowl Champions, Kansas City Chiefs attracted a whole new audience that they need to understand and engage with. This solution enabled them to understand each fan and their spending behaviours.
- Increased revenue On the current user base, the increased spend of Chiefs Pay users of 100% on average against 2019 spend per head, meaning that the more the fans use it, the more revenue comes to the Chiefs.
- Improved fan experience Faster transactions than using cash – reducing risk of viral transmission and ensuring fans did not miss the game. Concessions were able to serve fans faster – increasing sales at the same time.
- Real-time reporting Real time reporting enabled the operations team to understand peak sales times and products that were in demand. This has also enabled the team to focus on their most loyal customers and direct specific communications to them to drive further engagement.
- Saving time The reporting enables rapid delivery of reconciliations and reporting – creating a clear, accurate third party record of transactions and items – reducing fraud, theft and operational resources required.