Understanding a Global Fanbase
Manchester City FC has millions of fans around the world. To better engage with fans outside of the U.K., the Club hosts City Live! viewing events internationally. Using Tappit technology, Man City has gained greater insight into fan behaviour at these events.
- Seamlessly recorded the 2,923 food and beverage items served
- Processed 1,613 transactions from 945 fans
- Reported 634 brand activations for their partners
- Implemented a seamless, all-in-one system to provide the best experience for their fans
Back by popular demand, Man City hosted its second City Live! event in Seoul, where 1,000 City fans watched the newly-crowned Premier League Champions take on the Tottenham Spur. With a live link to the stadium and pre-match interview with a first team player, fans felt as if they were in the Ethiad (despite being more than 8,700 km away). In addition, fans were treated to free giveaways, a match analysis, food and drink credits, and partnership engagement opportunities.
Challenges and Objectives:
With a short planning period for the event, Man City faced several potential logistical challenges with their vendors and venue. To deliver the best event experience, event organisers were looking for streamlined solutions that could encompass all factors of the event, from inventory tracking to partnership activation reporting. They didn’t have time to implement bulky systems with extensive network requirements and needed to train event staff on the system quickly.
- Insights for partners. As with any event where partners are involved, it’s important for event organisers to prove the value of the activation. By using the Tappit system to track partnership engagement, Man City reported the number of engagements with their partners and peak times for interaction, giving their partners unprecedented insights into impact and reach. As a result, partners will be better equipped to understand when they should target fans based on the timing data and how much resource they should attribute to the event based on the percentage of fans engaging with the activities provided.
- Easy reconciliation. Without any additional manual labour or staffing hours after the event, event organisers were able to see transaction records and reconcile all 2,923 food and beverage items served.
- All-in-one system. Attendees enjoyed a seamless fan experience by being able to order food and drink items and interact with partners with one wristband.
- Speed and efficiency. With a total of 1,613 transactions processed, the Tappit system provided a much quicker solution than traditional tokens, as staff were not required to make any physical exchanges or keep track of collected vouchers.
- On-site support. Members of the Tappit team were on-site before, during and after the event to ensure event organisers did not have to worry about system integration and training.
“It was great to have the Tappit system to integrate with our partners. With the data collected, we learned from fans and could easily see many people were getting involved with the activations.” – Heather Ludlam, Supporters Club Manager, City Football Marketing
“Working with Tappit really made our lives easier. The team was easy to work with – they were very helpful and it was clear that they have a lot of experience delivering the system all over the world. It was a great added value that we were able to use one system to track food and beverage transactions and partnership activations, and the data we collected was really helpful in understanding the fans.” – Navdeep Rai, Producer, Beyond90